Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Abarth - '10 Fiat 500 Abarth
90 day: 33.4 mpg (US)

Yaris - '03 Toytota Yaris
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
Man, you are getting some silly numbers out of that little Suzuki!

Sadly my sponge is acting weird, think I might need to replace the coils and wires. Getting a huge hesitation during higher load while accelerating, quite often when it's cold. It doesn't throw any codes or anything, but hoping my new ultragauge will shed some light on the matter.

Maybe a 4 wheel alignment wouldn't be so bad either, but its expensive! The cars worth about $900, and I'm pretty sure an alignment would set me back $200-300 easily.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Pierrel; 01-04-2014 at 05:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierrel For This Useful Post:
wmjinman (01-06-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Thanks, Pierrel,

I suppose I shouldn't be complaining about the cold to someone in Sweden, but I think the weather/temperature will keep me from setting any more records soon. I have started working on a warm air intake and hope to have it in service before too long. So far, I've removed the stock fender intake and replaced it with an aftermarket "cone filter". I still need to fashion a housing and tube leading over to the exhaust manifold, but just with the different filter, the intake air is slightly warmer.

(can we say "ricer look"? HAH!)

The alignment I got wasn't that much - $54 here at a tire store chain. So I don't know if all mechanical work is more expensive there, but maybe it's not as bad as you think. ?

Your hesitation on acceleration doesn't sound good. It's strange you aren't getting any codes showing up. Hope you get it straightened out soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ricer.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	14387  

Last edited by wmjinman; 01-21-2014 at 02:29 AM..
Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Make that "700 miles on a tank", now!!!

Just did it!! An all-time high for mpg (62.68) AND an all-time high for distance traveled on a tank (701.7). It started out with a 65 mile drive on pretty flat highway to another town & then back on the warmest day we've seen so far this year. The ScanGauge kept creeping up until it was showing 64+ mpg. This gave me incentive to "pull out all the stops" and go nuts in my hypermiling.

The next few trips weren't quite as good, but the ScanGuage kept giving me readings of 63+ and then 62+. At one recent fill-up, I put 11.8 gallons in it, so I knew I could use that much before running dry. Kept checking the "gallons used" on the ScanGauge vs. miles on the actual odometer. When I hit 10 gallons used at 630 miles on the trip odometer, I knew something special might happen this tank.

So I kept at it, trying to maximize everything I could, and fortunately, not too many short trips on this tank either, and then, after driving about 7 extra miles (3.5 out - 3.5 back) "just to do it", I had rolled-over the 700 mile mark as I was returning to the gas station. Standing on "pins & needles" during the 20+ minute ordeal that's filling up my car (I take it to where it will not physically take any more and the fuel is visibly standing in the fill neck & won't go down any more), I was working up to the 11.2 gallons the ScanGuage said I used. And pretty darn close - 11.195!!!

So there we have it = the White Gnat is officially in the "700 club". LOL!

The Following User Says Thank You to wmjinman For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-01-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post

Great milestone. Whats next?
Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Wow! I gave up seeking new highs at 600 because 700 seemed to hard with my setup. I instead began focusing on being able to stay above 600 while returning to more normal speeds and different driving possibilities. Congrats... 700 is really hard to get to in these old gassers.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheEgg - '18 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
90 day: 29.55 mpg (US)
Most impressive!

The Following User Says Thank You to PressEnter[] For This Useful Post:
wmjinman (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I had started working on a fiberglass "bobbed boat tail/kamm back" for it last fall before the weather got too cold for fiberglass resin to cure. The time is fast approaching that I think I can continue and complete that project, and I have high hopes for the results.

I also started a warm intake air system after it got cold that I still haven't quite completed yet, but am not far away. So those are my next two projects - - - and the yet un-installed fuel injector cut-off MetroMPG keeps telling me I should install. I've got all the parts and a plan, just have to DO IT! (maybe I'm a procrasinator, eh?)

Interestingly, last fall I did two things that probably HURT my mileage - - I found a replacement passeger's side mirror and installed it - - - "undeleting" the previous (accidental) mirror delete, AND I removed my coroplast rear fender skirts so an alignment could be done - and never put them back on. So this last mpg number is with both mirrors in the wind AND missing the fenderskirts!!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Wow! I gave up seeking new highs at 600 because 700 seemed to hard with my setup. I instead began focusing on being able to stay above 600 while returning to more normal speeds and different driving possibilities. Congrats... 700 is really hard to get to in these old gassers.
Last year I never would have thought I could make it either, but then, didn't know how much my tank held etc. Another thing I do that makes me a little braver is I carry around a gallon of gas behind the seat - just in case I run out. Of course, having the ScanGauge telling me how much I've used of each tank helps too. ...it's been pretty accurate lately.

But once I hit 600, I never did less than 600 again (although it took 11.8 gallons to get there one time). Then once I hit 650, I started getting braver about it. However, this 700 business is, I think, at the extreme end of what I can do. But we'll see...

Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I should have mentioned earlier - one of my original goals I still have is my "55/55" goal - - - to get 55 miles per gallon while going 55 miles per hour. As far as I can tell, I still can't do that, but it's a little difficult to test, long-term. I can be going down the road at 55, reset the ScanGauge for "trip-current", and watch the average develop, but that usually ends up being around 51 or 52 mpg.

Of course, unless I filled up alongside a highway somewhere, immediately accelerated to 55, and then held it there for hundreds of miles until pulling off at another gas station alongside the highway to re-fill, I won't ever be able to say, "this tank was at 55 mph". But once I get the boattail/kamm back installed, I may try a somewhat extended run (a few dozen miles, maybe) using the ScanGauge "trip-current" feature to test it.

Otherwise, I'd be thrilled to see a 70 mpg tank average someday, but again, I expect it would take some "maximum effort" dedicated trip for that, too. That is, fill up, drive continuously somewhere with almost no stops, do "potential parking" at the midpoint for lunch (or to spend the night), then take off & head straight back, minimum stops, so the engine and system is at full operating temperature 99.9% of the tank, and no energy is being wasted braking, backing up, and accelerating.

For more "real world" goals, I notice it's been almost a year now since I've got LESS than 50 mpg. Maybe - just maybe - I can get my "official" 90 day average on this website to 60+. I would be very happy to accomplish that in the next few months. - and I've got my first 60+ tank of the year to start working with!!!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Suzuki
Second tank of 700+ miles

Just finished my second consecutive tank that took me over 700 miles - 707.5 to be exact with this one - the farthest ever. Also the most gas needed to fill it - 11.87 gallons. That works out to 59.68 mpg. Not the 60+ I like to see, but I'll still take it!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to wmjinman For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-01-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread