Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedy Gonzales - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Who uses vortex generators?

I work in the Aircraft industry, and the planes I build have specifically located VG's along the upper, leading edge of the wings...as do many Aircraft.
In our specific use, it increases lift, decreases drag and ultimately lowers fuel consumption and/increases speed...

Where might these be useful on a production car I wonder?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bertha - '16 Mercedes Benz Metris
Been posted...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Added a post to...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ns-3889-6.html...

Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have a few.

They come stock on the 07 CR-V.

Honda molded "edges" into the tops of the headlight to adjust airflow over the mirrors, and then molded more tabs into the mirrors to further adjust the airflow. The newer CR-V does away with them, though. The body has inherently better aero than the old one.

Some of the best examples, though, have got to be on the Prius C. It has vortex generators on both the headlights and rear lights.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Ordinary Engineering

Wungun - I work in the aircraft industry as well: Flight Test Engineer. I'm glad to see you here...

I'm interested in testing vehicles to determine vortex generator placement. I have a partner and friend who is also a Flight Test Engineer. Our first vehicle is the Prius with initial tuft testing already underway. Our goal is to produce a kit and map to place strakes and vortex generators on your vehicle.

Do a quick search for Prius Tuft Testing in the Aerodynamics section and check out some videos I've posted.

-Ryan
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here is what we do with our wings...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Very cool!!!
I'll have to look up your posts...
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannoe View Post
Wungun - I work in the aircraft industry as well: Flight Test Engineer. I'm glad to see you here...

I'm interested in testing vehicles to determine vortex generator placement. I have a partner and friend who is also a Flight Test Engineer. Our first vehicle is the Prius with initial tuft testing already underway. Our goal is to produce a kit and map to place strakes and vortex generators on your vehicle.

Do a quick search for Prius Tuft Testing in the Aerodynamics section and check out some videos I've posted.

-Ryan

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not Ordinary Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wungun View Post
Here is what we do with our wings...

Do you work with a manufacturer?

A neat instance of VGs in the aviation world that I've witnessed is the Joint Cargo Aircraft (C-27) which was supposed to be a twin engine Army/Airforce cargo plane. The neat thing is that the engines didn't counter-rotate (I'm guessing for logicistics and replacement purposes). Because of this, one side of the rudder had VGs placed up it to keep the flow attached.

-Ryan
Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
Vortex generators can be used to improve the performance of aircraft in a variety of ways. If properly sized and positioned vortex generators can be used to lower the stall speed of an aircraft, improve stability and control during maneuvering, decrease turning radius, decrease takeoff distance and increase takeoff weight. For commercial aircraft this can mean higher payloads and increased safety. While the general aviation pilot will enjoy better maneuverability as well as the increase in safety.

Straight from this site:
Aeronautical Testing Service, Inc. Vortex Generators explained.

They do not increase speed or save fuel. Added lift and stability at the cost of aero.

Thats the simple version for airplanes.

For Vehicles. Vortex generator work like this:
You increase drag at the point of vortex generation. You create turbulent air to flow past a trouble spot such as protruding mirror only to retattach as laminar flow. Thus actually creating less drag than the vortex generator actually caused.

I see these on the trailing edges of the roofs on some vehicles such as the Lancer. You need computer simultation or wind tunnel testing to properly place these. I would not try it because you would probably do more harm than good unless you have access to proper testing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YeahPete For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (01-08-2013), WilliamYH09 (03-15-2014)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannoe View Post
Do you work with a manufacturer?

A neat instance of VGs in the aviation world that I've witnessed is the Joint Cargo Aircraft (C-27) which was supposed to be a twin engine Army/Airforce cargo plane. The neat thing is that the engines didn't counter-rotate (I'm guessing for logicistics and replacement purposes). Because of this, one side of the rudder had VGs placed up it to keep the flow attached.

-Ryan
Yes I do...Found Aircraft

Reply  Post New Thread