Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

why do they thumbprint riders? :P

Maybe a little OT in that its not an ecomod, I dont yet have my motorcycle endorsement, just been bikewishing for a couple years yet i'm baffled about something. I don't know if its every state, but those around here I searched for all seem to demand a thumb print in order to get a license... any idea why that should be? It makes me feel like a criminal and it's not needed for my car so i'm left scratching my head a little as I don't like "just getting used to" all the stupid intrusions into our lives like TSA and most of the other nonsense which seems to have no real good purpose for existing.. any thoughts? Have these been required a long time? Are there any movements to repealing such requirements or is it something nobody seems to care about or be bothered by except me?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

They told me a thumbprint is now needed last I checked, it's one reason I hesitated to get the endorsement because I found it creepy. :P
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Ohio did not require prints of any kind. I looked on the DMV.org and mn.gov but did not see mention of such a requirement...

Minnesota Motorcycle License - Handbooks, Requirements at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ots/mms...s/default.aspx

You sure you weren't applying for a conceal carry or something?

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The state already has my prints for my carry permit, but they do not require prints for my drivers license.

regards
Mech
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Might be something to aid in rider identification after an accident?

I'll have to double check on that this spring.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Well when I was typing in motorcycle thumbprint and (any state) it seemed to show text concerning every single page says "provide a photo and thumb print" at least in the text below the link on google, though I often couldn't find it on the linked page so it left me confused. Someone in texas told me that they've been thumbprinting general drivers licenses since the 90's, and trying to roll it out in other states so I wasn't sure if they were harassing motorcyclists, or new motorcyclists/learning permits only about this, or if it was all drivers licenses or what was going on...

I mean like case in point:

california does for mopeds/scooters California Other Types of Motorcycles - CA Scooter & Moped Info at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

texas appeared to Texas Motorcycle License - Handbooks, Requirements at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

connecticuit How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Connecticut | DMV

minnesota i cant find what page i saw saying that i had to, but i know i read it, same with north dakota, south dakota and wisconson when i checked.

Every state i was googling seemed to imply its just the new thing.

Last edited by stillsearching; 02-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: cuz i'm an idiot
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I think your first idea beats any others. It is to ID you. Part of a big government plan. No other logical reason.

My prints have been compiled by numerous government agencies for years.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are so many Illegials in the US that this is just another way for them to track down the Wets (Term used loosely) using forged documents. Because an Illegials forged Licenses and faked finger prints won't be in the Legal Citizens Record Books. Pictures and documents in a persons pocket can be faked and forged, but getting a legals fingerprints to track on a forged License into the DMV Computer is almost impossible.

Personally, I'm glad they have another way to flush out the ones who aren't here legally! After all they arn't paying their fair share of Taxes, but definitly using up my Tax Money by the truck load! But I draw the line at being chipped!
Have you ever applied for a Passport? Talk about being intrusive!

Reply  Post New Thread