Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why do you drive an auto?
I drive a manual 84 54.90%
I have driven both, and prefer auto 19 12.42%
I have only driven automatics 3 1.96%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because of buying used 27 17.65%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because they aren't made (excl hybrid) 16 10.46%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because it's a hybrid 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

This is contingent on the type of driving you do. We live in citified environs (suburbia). I once owned a car that I bought new that was a manual and I enjoyed it, but the clutch was shot by 40K miles. Not that I don't know how to clutch, (believe me, I DO). But realize that when you drive almost exclusively in city traffic you cannot avoid needing to clutch and shift a lot, a great deal more than if you are in a rural environment doing mostly highway driving.

So for us having automatic transmissions is a 'must'. And changing the automatic tranny fluid helps too. So far none of my vehicles have needed transmission repair with over 100K miles on each, whereas one with a manual clutch would have worn out and needed replacement several times by now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
one of each, the E-350 turbo diesel van is an auto. it's good for towing, i've heard the sticks burn clutches really fast with a 10,000# trailer. the civic vx is a five speed, i don't really care either way, i will eoc an auto and drink coffee in a five speed. they each have their trade offs. i will say when i have a broken leg (twice in the last 3 years) i have gotten really good at clutchless shifting and timing lights, but you still need the clutch once in a while, hurts like crazy
Old 12-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Tele man -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...although we've driven sticks for years & years, here recently, a bum left knee has reduced the wife to driving only automatics.

...and, that's why *we* drive automatics.
I have the manual and my wife has the automatic. She also has a bum knee. But, my Mom is in her 80's and she *prefers* a manual, which she only learned to drive about 15 years ago.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
The poll is missing an option.

"I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because TOWMBO can't drive stick and said no."
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Driven both type easily over 100 k miles over the last 44 years. At 60 years I prefer an auto, but I do ride a motorcycle that gets over 80 MPG.

The 08 Altima CVT is quite nice and the wife has a 09 Rogue with the same engine and transmission. Nissan extended the warranty on their CVTs to 10 years and 120k miles.

On my car the torque converter locks up at 15 MPH when you accelerate slowly. It can go to 50 MPH and never exceed 1500 RPM.

As you get older, living in a very congested area, where traffic jams can catch you in a 3mile one hour crawl, driving a manual can be very frustrating.

When I coast in neutral in the Altima and shift back into gear, the car is amazing, at 45 MPH the RPMs stay at 1k for a couple of seconds before the TC locks back up, which with the CVT is basical a direct mechanical connection like a manual.

ON cruise control the RPMs doe not change when you climb a grade, as long as it is not severe they stay the same, unlike most automatics.

I prefer to concentrate on my situtional awareness over having to add thinking about shifting and other in car duties. To many stipid drivers around me all the time here.

If I lived out in the boonies, I would probably drive a stick, but the wife can't stand to be that far away from a $^&*() Wall Mart.

regards
Mech
Old 12-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
I'm thinking I should've added "I'm spoiled and have a DSG or CVT" because while they are automatic, they are nowhere near as crap.

Maybe one day someone will make a CVT with an automatic clutch instead of a TC, I'd almost certainly take one over a manual.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
I'm thinking I should've added "I'm spoiled and have a DSG or CVT" because while they are automatic, they are nowhere near as crap.

Maybe one day someone will make a CVT with an automatic clutch instead of a TC, I'd almost certainly take one over a manual.
Pretty sure the original Honda Insight had that configuration.

Nice thing about the TC in the Altima is they use it like a clutch, with lockup at very low speeds to minimize the losses, but I don't have to worry about replacement of a clutch. I love the idea of a 6 speed dual clutch automated manual transmission. It follows my philosophy of the best of both worlds, especially when you consider the vast majority of drivers choose autos.

The old slush boxes are another thing altogether. I would never own another one of those, but many have more serious financial considerations, and my hat is off to them for working to get decent mileage.

regards
Mech
Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
...especially when you consider the vast majority of drivers choose autos...
They should add stick shift to drivers ed, The US is probably the only country where most people buy automatics. Other countries only teach stick, since any chimp can figure out an automatic, and would probably be appalled to drive one having learned stick
TheMarkofPolo (12-10-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 30.43 mpg (US)
Of the seven vehicles I've owned, five were manuals, including my last two. I find I can get much better fuel economy with a manual.

I live in an urban setting (Tampa Bay) and have no problems with sticks. The only vehicle I ever had any transmission problems with was an automatic, which cost a fortune to fix.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
The S10 crew cab I drive didn't come with manual. This truck meets mine and my family's needs pretty well, so I can't complain too much.

BUT...if I had the money to, I would swap it over to manual in a heartbeat.