Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Women who know everything.

When I was home on leave for Christmas, with just a couple of weeks left of Basic, some girl tried to argue with me about how boot camp, because she knew!

When I was in Germany, there were only a few singles at Church, and only one had a car, so she always drove us, when she felt like going. The ride was half an hour long and I tried to not say anything, because whenever I started talking, the girl driving would tell me that I was wrong. It did not matter the subject, things that happened at home, college, and my Army job, which was different than hers. I almost always talked about things she did not know, but I did not feel that I could say anything without her telling me that I was wrong.

Tonight, a neighbor asked if I wanted to go running, which was totally cool, especially because I had already ran today. We were walking back to my car and he was invited to watch a movie and asked if I wanted to go. In the car, she absolutely contradicted me about the career that I have chosen.

I spent two years studying it thoroughly. I was active on here, I studied, i tried to sleep, and I did little else. I finished over a year ago and I continued trying to learn about it, periodically looking for jobs, finally doing an internship, and looking for jobs again, but I was absolutely wrong because she "knew people."

Do some people just want to feel that others are wrong?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2015, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
If a man speaks in the forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (08-14-2015), ChewChewTrain (08-24-2015), chumly (08-23-2015), freebeard (08-14-2015), niky (08-17-2015), Xist (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Do some people just want to feel that others are wrong?
No, I think you are wrong about that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markweatherill For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (01-31-2016), Xist (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
for some reason they see you as another hen in the pecking order...

maybe you need better "game"?

maybe you aren't that interested in women, but cant admit it to yourself?

you relay a huge number of s#it tests, that is for sure.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Seems like a case of womansplaining...
Which is of course a gender swapped kind of mansplaining.

That, or it is just a way to hide the fact that she really does not know anything at all. Which is a logical result of categorically not listening to others.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Every day this week, I have woken up too early, and then it takes me an excruciatingly long time time to fall asleep. With this day and age, I always want to check if I missed anything: Text and Facebook messages, e-mail, and updates here.

These forums are less active than I would like. Why isn't there more ecomodding?!

People do not talk to me much...

Even if I just go to the bathroom and climb back into bed immediately, it takes me too long to fall asleep, and then I end up waking up eleven or twelve hours after I originally went to bed, although I know that I am definitely not sleeping that much.

If I had a full day ahead of me, I felt that I would just stay up and deal with it. Well, I am doing that now. I was trying to get out the door around seven, it is already 94°, with 32% humidity! However, I was reviewing my Mass versus Acceleration thread, trying to figure out what I have forgotten. At one point I posted:
Quote:
I really think that people arbitrarily form opinions because they want to have them and they defend them because they want to be right.
I also think that people try to find faults in others to feel comparatively better about themselves.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
well, it may be more nuanced than that. Why should she care what your career choice? Perhaps, and I'm not defending this in any way, just thinking out loud, she thinks she (or someone like her) could better utilize you if you made better money or something.

Or maybe you come across as a complete wreck and she is just concerned in general.

Or countless other options or combinations of options.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Been married to one for over a quarter century.
Y'all can have the rest of them.

regards
mech
Old 08-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
We're all nuanced so that we can compare and contrast ourselves to one another. River rocks get their rough edges smoothed by the one next to them so to speak. Iron sharpens iron and so on. OTOH the "contentious woman" who creates contradiction, debate or insult from a sense that they themselves have been insulted and habitually looking to pay that forward are a rough edge to be sure! I can be like that sometimes and I think you may see that theme to varying degrees in many people. I think you're handling it as well as can be expected with an acquaintance you don't have any investment in. Hopefully, she will become self aware of how intense it is and self correct. I can tell you I don't like being contracted and have to curb my anger which is my habitual response to that stimuli and try to see if there is any truth to the assertions. Otherwise, its advisable to avoid any unnecessary interactions with such a person. Can I get a witness?

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 08-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Did she think you're wrong about your career in some technical aspect, or wrong somehow for having chosen that career? You can't be "wrong" for choosing a career when that choice is arbitrary, personal, and subjective, unless you are arguing that you chose it for some objective reason (i.e. "I chose to become a marine art historian because the starting salary for marine art historians is one million dollars per year." "You're wrong about that." vs. "I chose to become a rutabaga farmer because I like rutabagas and farming them." "I can't say you're wrong about that, because that is impossible for me to know.").

Reply  Post New Thread