Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hot Tub "Blanket" . . . while in use.

I wrote an article on this subject (read here), and it has drawn the highest number of visitors {doing random searches} of any of my ideas or web pages.
Now I assume that a large number of these people were simply looking for a conventional covering, but they do come to read what I wrote.

I got an email back yesterday from a reader and he suggested I bring up the subject here.

Can anyone say from experience how effective floating balls are at providing an insulative blanket on a hot tub . . . while you are in it? If so, I am wondering what would work best and what arrangement would prove most effective (material, density, size, varying sizes, # of layers, etc . . .).

In my article, I cover several advantages to having a "blanket" that does not limit your mobility. Personally, aside from saving on the cost and use of energy, I like my body to be hot but my face to stay cool.

Well . . .

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
I can't say from personal experience if they work or not as an insulator, but...
Ping pong balls are the first thing to come to my mind. But there will be a minuscule gap if only using one layer. but trying to maintain two layers would be nearly impossible as the top layer would want to push the lower layer aside so the top layer could come to the same plane as the lower level.

It might be cheap enough to give it a try. Only issue would be to put a screen over the wake inlet for the pump so the balls don't get sucked in. Heck, Mythbusters raised a tugboat from a lake bottom using only ping pong balls!

Other thing to try might be Racket Balls since they're rubber and have a thicker wall that might provide more insulating R value. They might not be as comfortable though to sit in while using the tub.

It might even be possible to use the two together since they're different sizes and would float in the water at a slightly different level as the ping pong balls are lighter and would sit higher in the water.

now when you say "hot tub" do you mean jacuzzi? With jets and everything that churn up the water's surface? In that case you would need a lot of balls in order for it to still form a thermal barrier over the water.

Last edited by TomO; 12-15-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hot Tub floating balls

Quote:
Ping pong balls . . . Racket Balls
. . . and also the plastic balls used in indoor play areas. I also suggested light weight wood in my article, which would be far more expensive, but possibly more theraputic.

Quote:
. . . but trying to maintain two layers would be nearly impossible as the top layer would want to push the lower layer aside so the top layer could come to the same plane as the lower level.
Not if they are contained in the area of your tub.

I picture something heavier than a ping pong ball for control, two or more sizes to fill gaps, and two or more deep to finish off the "seal". As always I want to emphasize that rarely does one size fit all, and some ideas are more practical for some than for others. I am always simply hoping to help someone . . . not everyone.

I say hot tub rather than Jacuzzi since that is a brand name . . . like Kleenex.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Something that could be tried if you have a very good filtering system, as in a few layers of screen before the water returns to the jetting system, would be packaging "peanuts". They are made of foam and foam is commonly used for insulation anyway, and ping pong balls are not. They are not as sturdy as ping pong balls, but certainly a lot cheaper. I'm sure that some places regularly throw the stuff away. It does come apart, though, and if it got in the jetting system it might cause damage. Just try it at your bosses house.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hot tub floating balls . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Something that could be tried if you have a very good filtering system, as in a few layers of screen before the water returns to the jetting system, would be packaging "peanuts".
My guess is that peanuts would fall under the category of highly efficient as far as an insulator, but impractical because they would most likely stick to you as you rose to get out of the tub. They are certainly light enough to provide excellent mobility too, but my guess is that a denser, less adhering material would work best.
Hopefully we will eventually get some responses from implementors or at least testers. I don't own a hot tub and my YMCA was not open to experimenting.
I thought of it a lot before writing the article almost a year ago while sitting there with my face hot and water splashing into my eyes . . .oh, and let's not forget the eye burning chlorine that they pour into the water, which effect would be lessened with a "blanket".
Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you were so inclined you could put a small amount of peanuts in a bath tub and see if they would stick to you. Another thing would be larger chunks of styrofoam. I would think that furniture stores have lots of pieces from furniture deliveries that you could cut to a smaller size.

If you could come up with something workable and fairly innocuous, I would think there is a market. The ski resorts around here all have outdoor spas, and a tremendous amount of energy must be wasted to keep those hot 24/7.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
packaging "peanuts". They are made of foam and foam is commonly used for insulation anyway, and ping pong balls are not.
IIRC most Styrofoam packing peanuts are made from corn starch now and are biodegradable and they actually dissolve in water. Maybe not all but the last time I saw a packing peanut, and got it wet, it dissolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by probsolver View Post
I picture something heavier than a ping pong ball for control, two or more sizes to fill gaps, and two or more deep to finish off the "seal". As always I want to emphasize that rarely does one size fit all, and some ideas are more practical for some than for others. I am always simply hoping to help someone . . . not everyone.
The wood ball idea (for control and therapy) along with Ping Pong balls to add on top sounds like a winner to me.

Perhaps a small test in the home bathtub may be in order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by probsolver View Post
I say hot tub rather than Jacuzzi since that is a brand name . . . like Kleenex.

Thanks for the feedback!
That makes sense calling it a hot tub then to me.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Whoa, cornstarch would make a big mess! How about rubber duckies. Everyone loves rubber duckies.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I would much prefer something dark colored, natural, such as wood balls. Unfortunately, the amount of waste required to make those balls (it's not easy to make a sphere) efficiently would probably negate the savings from them for the average user, who doesn't keep the tub hot all the time.

For a public spa, I can see it making a difference, though.

I suppose the balls would be something approximately 1/2" in diameter, and another set approx 3/4" in diameter so that they would pack into each other. For vanity, they could be like bath beads which are infused with oils that, when heated, release a desirable odor.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
i use one of these to keep warm:

The Following User Says Thank You to luvit For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-23-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread