Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #51 (permalink)
Not banned yet

getto - '02 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 53.82 mpg (US)
wow. amazing car.

02 TDI Jetta- 5 sp: Cooper CS5 at 50 psi, UltraGauge, ventectomy, rear air shocks, mufflerectomy, LED plate light, upper fiberglass grille block, flat wheel covers, front/rear DVR, front lower pan, front fairing.
93 Chevy CrewCab 6.5 TurboDiesel, GearVendor OverDrive, 4L80 w/ full manual control. Now my DailyDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
....As of lately, I have started taking the bus to the other campus, because there are more people in space than there are parking spots over there.....
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #52 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 61.88 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar eBike custom built
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,093 Times in 727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOTDI View Post
I did get a reply from Jacob....! He has since moved his family to Portland Maine! Wow, from the west coast clear over to the east coast. I'll share a portion of his email to me here with you all...

"Funny you should mention putting a 1.2L in a motorcycle. Way back when I started the Insight project I ran across the Thunder Star. It's certainly doable from a technical standpoint. For most people money is what holds that type of project hostage. The total project cost for the Insight was somewhere around $25k--expensive but about a quarter of what one custom vehicle house said they'd do the job for.

The Insight has languished a bit in daily driver obscurity. I did take it out to the '09 Bonneville World of Speed. My Dad holds the official unofficial land speed record for diesel powered hybrid cars at a whopping 97.7mph. Click here for a short picture album that will give you a better feel for what was involved in swapping in the 1.2L.""
Totally fun. I went sleuthing and found the top speed was slightly faster than Jacob says (he so modest): 97.740 MPH top speed! Haha. This photo was also available (Hemmings magazine online). You can just barely make out "redlightracing.org" on the door. Site seems dead though: http://redlightracing.org/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insight with VW Lupo 1.2l diesel engine--World of Speed 2009.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	21372  

See my my car's mod thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape. My fuel economy goal is 55+ mpg while averaging posted speed limits. See my Honda manual transmission specs post too.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (03-13-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread