Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

maybe your pushing the gas pedal too far for the lean burn to stay activated?going to have to coast in gear for the coast down fuel cutoff too? if you dont have a mpguino it might be hard to tell when the engine is in lean burn and the fuel flow is reduced like really hard trust me i was getting really bad milage. until i got. a mpguino

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Your commute is 4 miles in city driving? I'm thinking your engine isn't getting up to temp until you're about to park. I could be wrong but I'm also thinking you're not going to get good mileage unless you take steps to warm that engine before you leave, and keep cooling air restricted during your warm up. Are you using a block heater and grille block?

I've lived on both sides of the commute coin. 6.8 km to work in Winnipeg at -30 and the needle barely moved off C. Nasty nasty economy. I've hit below 15 mpg in a Contour V6. Block heater helped. I should have installed a grille block too. Now it's 75km and temperature isn't as big of an issue, but I've repaired my block heater and am installing a grille block this afternoon. Before these two mods I'm getting over 30mpg on (75km) commute only tanks. Our weather is alot like yours right now, unnaturally warm for Winnipeg. Where'd the cold go? I'm not complaining...

Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

^^ what he said if you really have a 4 mile commute thats not going to warm up the engine either! lol gas milage isnt much if an issue there a moped will get you high milage in 4 miles 36mpg is not horrible city the mpguino would help you alot to know if you were in leanburn its very sensitive to throttle angle its not lile they get 50mpg all the time if ideal coditions are there then no problem but if your sitting at stoplight or have stopsigns 36mpg is pretty acceptable

Last edited by foamham; 12-31-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

if you were getting 36mpg all highway with light throttle at 55 mph there would be a problem but you need to keep the throttle angle light to the point your not kicking out of lean burn really its a specially learned technique unless you master that you might never even get above 40 even highway
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Yep, the vx will simply not get awesome mileage during short trips and cooler air temps. My average mileage gets killed during my short trip , winter driving vs. my long trip summer driving. Just take a look at my fuel log and you will see.
My car is a bone stock Vx with MPGuino, Autospeed Leanburn Monitor and Gps for speed/distance.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
The PRC.

Block up the front completely - upper and lower grills - and it will warm up very quickly.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
Man! I've read everywhere abt part stores and previous owners using the PZFR5F-11. I just checked my 2 week old VX ad what do you know? Had the 5s and not the 4s... Welp off to the store I go. What are the side effects of using the 5s? Bad FE? Incomplete combustion leading to carbon build up in the cat, exhaust and egr? The inside of my tailpipe is pretty black, the reason I ask.

[ACHV ALL]
Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sparky - '07 Toyota Prius Base

Voltage_kwh - '18 Chevy Volt LT
90 day: 151.04 mpg (US)

Voltage_gas - '18 Chevy Volt LT
90 day: 43.38 mpg (US)
I've had mine for a couple of months and just checked last night. Sure enough 5f. I ran out and got the 4f's at lunch from O O O O'Reileys and can't wait to put them in to see if they make a difference.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModder-In-Training

Dumpmobile - '95 Honda Civic EX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.99 mpg (US)
Yeah, check this page out:

NGK Spark Plugs USA

Your plugs were "colder" than they are supposed to be. Good catch!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1carnut View Post
I've had mine for a couple of months and just checked last night. Sure enough 5f. I ran out and got the 4f's at lunch from O O O O'Reileys and can't wait to put them in to see if they make a difference.
For both of us, I hope it gives a large FE boost.

[ACHV ALL]
The Following User Says Thank You to SiVX For This Useful Post:
matthewtanner (10-04-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread