View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
i_am_socket -

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
Not to take this off on a tangent, but whatever happened to the appropriate naming of a vehicle's size class? My 'rolla is classified as a compact, but is the size of midsize car from 5 years earlier. A sub-compact would be a Metro by my understanding, but now that would be a sub-sub-compact?

I'm just annoyed that it's impossible to get a new car that's cheap to buy, gets insane milage, runs forever, and can be easily fixed. I would be happy if they just did a re-release of the old CRX.
I agree. Here is a comparison of two Hondas that I saw parked side-by-side a while ago :

Code:
Third generation Honda Accord (1986-1989)
Wheelbase      : 102.4 in (2601 mm)
Length         : 179.7 in (4564 mm)
Width          : 67.4 in (1712 mm)
Height         : 53.4 in (1356 mm)
(Above dimensions can differ by a few inches based on the model)

Eighth generation Honda Civic (2006 to present)
wheelbase (inches)     : 104.3
overall length (inches): 174.8
overall width (inches) : 68.9
overall height (inches): 53.5
You could rebadge the Civic as an Accord and you'd be done.

It's not like Kei-Cars that have legal engine displacement and size requirements. To be "better" than the previous generation, marketing says you've got to offer *more*. You've got to go from a thirsty-two ouncer to a forty-two ounce thirst quencher.

I remember a forum member (here or elsewhere) a while back that complained that all the US "compact" cars would be considered family size cars in his country. For example, he complained that a Ford ZX2 was a "family size" car in his country.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 06-19-2009 at 05:32 PM..