View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
the rocker painted.

For those that remember the 85-94 subarus, this photo is of significance to ponder.
The rocker panel. every recall this car has had is staring right back at you in the photo..and never written as such. I noticed the night temps going below 56 this week. After maine never had summer, it is over.
I ran to the parts store got a badly mixed batch of oe paint code (unusual mistake, but hey its only the rocker). Some foam brushes, krylon crystalline silica based primer, and two part extreme urethane. that alone is enough to put subarus oe paint to shame, but I did not stop there...it sterted 3 years ago for me and this "little rocker" at 6 feet long wrapping both ends of STRUCTURAL posts on the unibody.
the interior of the rocker is from one end to the other .25 inch steel rod laminated at the edge, welded nearly solid...many hours in fact.. a doubled interior baffle, and then 22 guage welded in as a sealer in the same appearance as oe. Needless to say, the car doesn't even creak three wheeling. the other side has a similar treatment.
more importnatly, my first fix of this (initial install and welds) aided in +10mpg, and better cold starts, The rear brakes gained a function, the left door stopped squeaking on bumps, and if i roll down the window at highway speed, it goes back up without a whistling leak next to my ear. This to me is one of the most serious errors ever encounterd in auto manufacturing with every wrong reason all the way around it written as a mistaked recall about something else being the problem...EVER. it makes a toyota rusty frame problem obvious...this car did this since day one, I have had three of them. rust not a problem, in fact the old rocker is still underneath this one.