View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
It certainly does not sound healthy trying to find neutral on a bike, I use the clutch from the higher gears.

Putting another detent (grind a slot w/your dremel) in the shifter arm between 5th and 6th is an option and what Matsuzawa did.

But since I don't usually use the clutch for shifting, and I have a kill switch, I'm pretty sure I could get it home and fix it if it failed. Run and jump on, dog it into first or second, then time the lights or take the expressway, whatever, been there (sheared a key and lost everything but 5th once, also had snapped clutch cable another time, got home just fine and effected repairs).

Motorcycle clutches and whatnot can be exponentially easier to work on than a car. One bike I had, (old amerachi) the throwout bearing was just a bb at the end of a rod that was pretty easy to get to.

I have not made making another neutral detent a priority because my bike glides just as well using the clutch, since it is connected to the output shaft directly, unlike a typical car,

I am confident the practice won't leave me stranded or cost me a lot of money, have done many miles that way so far (knock on wood).

Though Christ does have a good cautionary tale, if the clutch is constantly slipping, you have a problem (I would take Franks lead and start by hitting the clutch area with a rock ), and messing with the lever, maybe try some force on the crank arm in the closing direction, then don't touch the clutch till you get home.

Last edited by dcb; 08-08-2009 at 10:43 AM..