View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Results from road trip...

Approximately 800 miles total (700 highway miles)...total mpg 58 mpg.

Inbound trip I used my new route bypassing about 30% of the highway miles I usually take to get to Towanda, PA. My new route was extremely efficient through most of MA until I hit the Berkshire Mountains (wow...straight uphill)! If I take this route again I will probably head south bypassing the Berkshire Mountains to save some more mpg. Prior to hitting the mountains I was running about 8 mpg higher than my normal trip mpg but after the mountains that was reduced to about 4 mpg better. So the route is still better...just needs some tweaking.

If you have ever driven up Route 2 over the Berkshire Mountains it is really nice country out there...worth a trip if you have time to check it out. Some nice mountain lodges and the scenery is outstanding. While it was fun coasting back down the mountain I didn't make up the mpg I lost going up the 15 mile stretch at a ridiculous uphill grade. And...I was driving up the mountains at around 2am with no cell service with nobody else on the road...if I had car trouble I would have been sunk!

On the trip from Elysburg, PA to MA I just took the 99% highway route home and I did pretty good...around 58 mpg. Still have about 100 miles left in my tank so those results will be posted in a few days.

It was fun to map a new route, get better mpg and see different parts of the country I don't normally get to see on my trip back to PA...highly recommend it!