View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
IsaacCarlson
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
So I pulled my P/S....rough work(my arms are all scarred up

All i did was pull the pump out and remove the snap ring from the rear plate, then removed the vanes from rotor and put it back together. It spins like a dream... Now i have a bypass pulley that can still be a pump again, except I will need to buy 3 new lines....I had to cut my pressure line to plug it so the reservoir could be filled with fluid to keep the "pump" lubed since it rides on the cast iron sleeve, not bearings. and i cut the lines between the vector and the rack. I pinched off the lines on the vector end and looped the lines on the rack end so the seals wouldn't dry out/get dirty. I am going to see what the mileage is without P/S and if it is not much higher then it will go back in. It steers better at lower speeds and gets really stiff at highway speeds. and windy country roads are not the easiest to negotiate. I an wondering if the magnetic coils are still doing something to fluid flow. Are the coils in the rack????? I was unable to locate them. My book says there are valves or something that makes steering stiffer at higher speeds. I CAN'T FIND EM!!!!!
does anybody know where they are?

P.S. my arms and shoulders are feelin' the burn.... and my apologies for scattering threads, i didn't want to have too many topics in one. will now consolidate.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear