View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Sorry to be a party pooper but an induction motor would require an expensive controller and high power inverter.

A given motor will put out roughly double the hp and rpm with double the voltage. They like to run at a certain rpm and will put out many more hp to get there if loaded up. You can "safely" double the voltage/HP of a motor but have to watch out not to overheat it and probably not run it continuously at double It's rating . I use a $10 digital oven thermometer to keep tabs on my bikes.

For an easy contactor motor EV set up I would look for a used permanent magnet brushed motor. Can be found cheap if you know where to look. Old forkifts, etc. Look for H rated motors (can be run the hottest: low-A, B, F, H-high)

Brushed PMDC is 2 wires, no waiting. Fairly simple to set up a series parallel contactor arrangement. That's how the Auranthetic bikes are set up. They are rated 1 hp cont. but probably put out 3 or more up hills.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 10-18-2009 at 11:56 PM..