View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
bkruger
EcoModding Lurker

Shadow - '93 Dodge Shadow ES
90 day: 24.34 mpg (US)

Moped - '06 Metro 50
90 day: 137.2 mpg (US)
Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Sundance Kill switch how-to

While the Shadow/Sundance may not be very common in the Ecomodding world, I thought I'd demonstrate how to install a proper kill switch. The diagram that identified the relays was near-impossible to find, so I hope this will make the process easier for other Shadow owners.

Step one: Access the Auto-shutdown Relay

See full-size
The relay we need access to is under the hood on the drivers side, just in front of the suspension.

See full-size
The ASD relay is the front-most relay. This may look slightly different from your vehicle if it has ABS. If your vehicle has ABS, the ABS relay is on the right side of the starter relay, in the empty space where the arrow is pointing in the picture. You should only need to remove the bolt above the ASD relay to pull it out where you can work with it.

Step two: Splice into relay

See full-size
Cut the solid blue wire referred to in the picture. Strip both ends and attach about a long length of new wire to each side of the newly cut blue wire. Solder the new wire to the blue wire and use some heat-shrink tubing over the splice. After both parts of the blue wire are attached to your new wire, you're ready to feed the new wire through the firewall.

Step three: Feed wire into cabin

See full-size
You'll be able to feed your wire through next to the hood latch cable. Feed both of your new wires through and ziptie up your new wire under the hood as you feel necessary. You're now done under the hood.

Step four: Attach and mount switch

See full-size
All that's left to do is crimp and solder female sliders onto the end of your wires. Then attach the sliders to your switch of choice. I used a cheap 12V 20A switch from our local Rural King. I then used a mess of zipties to fix the switch to the side of my shifter. You can mount/attach your switch anywhere you see fit. Then ziptie the extra wire under the dash and you're finished!

Full gallery of pictures

Good luck and happy ecomodding!