View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Funny
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
I never understood why people do not stick with OEM filters.
Because what the manufacturer often recommends is the bare minimum of what the engine requires for filtration. Aftermarket is almost always better at filtration. The cheaper the filter, the poorer the construction. There are a bunch of filters that have great construction and piss-poor filter media in them. The best filters on the market are Mobil 1 (Synthetic media) and Fram Xtended Guard (also Synthetic). They provide great flow, great construction, great filtration, and long drain intervals. Baldwin has excellent construction, good media. Most Frams have cardboard end-caps, with the exception of the Xtended Guard. This debate will go on forever I'm afraid.

But I will never, with the exception of the very first oil put in a vehicle's engine, run a vehicle with a stock filter. The car manufacturer (pick your poison) wants to sell more cars. They want the cars to last just out of warranty, then have people buy a new one. That's just business, they are in it to make money. It's your car, therefore it's your responsibility to make it run as long as it can, unless you can afford a new car every couple of years, so take care of it and just do regular oil changes and maintenance.