View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Unfortunately capitalism is based on misinformation/misleading claims/unequal and slanted education.

There are always oil change deals where you get an oil filter with 5 quarts of oil for a pretty reasonable price. They've caught on with how much people like these deals by throwing in any sweetener they can think of (fuel additivies, oil pans, puppies, etc.) including an "upgraded" oil filter. I was asked if I wanted to get the upgraded, fancier oil filter with the ability to filter out impurities with a smaller micron filter for just two more clams. Nah. I'm pretty sure it's just an oil filter, and I don't think my engine has mold spore allergies.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who fall for BS like that though - 'tis a shame.

I would go with 0W20 conventional if I could find it, but this is the first 0W20 I've ever seen (and it just happens to be synth), and I was surprised even more when it was touted as economy because of the green washing shrug I always encounter: "Eh, at least stuff like this is more available to me, but its unfortunate that people think buying things with 'green', 'efficient', "economy" or my personal favorite 'environmentally compatible' will be a magic bullet. when doing so doesn't really help educate them on what really needs to happen, and is more akin to applying a band-aid to a decapitation patient." I was more expecting to see an old stained box in the clearance section.