View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccphil55 View Post
That being said I'm looking for trucks that would get mid 20's if not 30's mpg's.

Bottom line how much difference has been observed truck cap versus open box or suggest other kinda of trucks please.

Thanks
Um a cap won't move you to 30mpg.

Also given your requirements there are going to have to be some sacrifices.

In any event, actual labratory results are that my Dodge Ram V8 1500 goes from 14mpg to 18mpg using an aero cap.

Next are you planning on FABRICATING a vehicle, MODIFYING a vehicle or just buying one off a lot?

Because off the lot your S10 4 banger will have to be driven very gingerly to tow 2k often or likely transmission troubles. Both the T5 manual and GMs auto are rather crappy that they couple with 4 bangers.

That said my uncle drove a 92 Ford Ranger pulling loads a tractor should have pulled around his farms 70mph, much in excess of 2000lb, trouble is luck doesn't go to everyone.

Same story with a guy from our church who pulled a heavy old camping trailer 3500lbs with a Dodge carvan 190k without issues, again likely dumb luck.

So I guess what I am saying is are you willing to drive rather slow and light on the pedal for your s10 to survive or are you willing to pay potential repair bills to do it?

Also other possibilities exist if you are willing to do a little work.

The antique slow 6.2 diesels could deliver mid 20's in full size trucks and SUVs, I know because my suburban would get mid 20's. They can be reliable (i've put on 400k) but they are not powerfull. Despite that they are unlikely to fail pulling a 2k load around whereas a S10 may not like it after a while.

And there is at least one 30mpg 6.2 truck floating around on the dieselplace.com with a 5sp nv3500 manual.

If you are willing to install a 5sp manual transmission into an automatic 6.2 diesel you can net very good MPGs

A few things to remember, a 6.2 likes to drive slow, if you make it go fast it will die fast. Meaning turbos are generally not a good idea, they work but again if really used the motor will die. 6.2's are cheap and easy to fix, nuf said

So I guess the point of this post is

1. The trucks that get the best FE are rarely speed demons, the closest exception in the older Dodge Cummins but rather hard to get above 25 with those even under exceptional circumstances.

2. The gasoline trucks that get the best FE many times cannot reliably pull heavy loads reliably unless you drive more gingerly

So if you want to go fast pulling a trailer you either pony up for a Cummins which gets about the same FE pulling as not and normally not above 20 or you get your 8mpg and be happy with it.

If those don't sound good learn to live with slower driving and reap the rewards of your less powerfull platform.

Also an S10 with a 6.2 and proper suspension makes a great ecomodding setup, there are several who have done that swap sucessfully, except in your case don't jack the thing up, lower it down.

Cheers
Ryan