View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
bhazard
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
Welcome to FordFestiva.com

I averaged 47-48 mpg out of mine when it was stock, and I wasn't too hardcore into hypermiling. I got a best of 53 mpg going 60mph behind a semi truck on a 150 mile trip. Im sure 60 mpg is possible with mods and more dedicated hypermiling. The b3 (stock engine) doesn't mind being lugged around (I could cruise 5th gear at 25mph, like 1000-1200 rpm) so thats nice around town. They're also not to wound out on the highway. One thing that I would DEFINITELY recommend is the "aspire brake swap". Grab the front knuckles, tie rod ends, and the entire rear beam out of the 94-97 aspire and swap them in. Its a massive brake upgrade and you get a rear sway bar. Its more of a safety thing as the festiva brakes are an absolute joke. The b3 engine has adequate power for the typical driver. Well tuned they can be peppy, much quicker than a 3 cyl metro. If you end up wanting a little more power the 323 1.6 engine is a bolt in, has 20 more hp and minimal loss of mpg.
Another thing you can do is grab the head off an aspire. Same engine but roller valvetrain instead of slider. Loses some friction.

Now I have a 1.6 dual cam turbo motor swapped in mine and Ive managed 40.1 mpg so far, and I just figured out that Ive been driving it on 3 cyls this whole time (injector plug was messed up) so now that its running right (its *scary* quick) and if I can manage to keep the foot out of it for a whole tank I might actually see some decent numbers...

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
The Following User Says Thank You to bhazard For This Useful Post:
gsimpson (06-13-2010)