View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
brucey
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I'd have to see a picture of what you mean on the bumper question? Like creating a kammback would help, if that's what you're asking.

My intake and exhaust is stock. Well, I did remove some of the piping recently to make room in the engine bay, but other than that it's stock. That being said, my engine has been bored .040 over when it was rebuilt a few years back, but that should be returning me slightly worse economy.

As far as the transmission downshifting, a couple things:

Do NOT use cruise control. As soon as the cruise control is engaged, the transmission goes into a different mode where it shifts way sooner than necessary. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this, but it does. It also tends to unlock the torque converter way too early too. I don't get it. But whatever.

Also, you can "train" the 4EAT somewhat to stay locked and in 4th. I can keep mine locked on 85% of mountains around here. As you're going up the hill, use your foot to control it. As soon as it unlocks (scangauge helps here too, but the tach also shows the difference) let off of it and wait for it to lock again. You'll probably lose a few MPH but it should lock back up and you can put your foot down again more. After you do this enough, it should start to stay locked forever it seems. I've gone as high as 45 on my TPS before it unlocks going up a mountain, while cruise control will do it as soon as 20TPS.

As for the header, meh. If you want it go for it, but I wouldn't expect a major increase in mileage from it. Do it for the fun (: