View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleefoto View Post
I'm apologizing in advance if this topic as been beaten to death already, but if it has I couldn't find it on the site.

The car is a 2010 ford focus 2.0L 5 speed manual trans.
What I'd like to know is

1.) will coasting in neutral damage my car, I'm not concerned w/ excess shifter wear but I mean deep internal synchro or gear type damage??
Absolutely not. Every time you shift, you are pulling it out of gear, then you clutch and re-engage it in another selected, appropriate gear. In the brief interim you are coasting in neutral.

You can even do this with an automatic transmission (providing it is not one of those that shouldn't be towed in neutral). Any potential problem or damage comes when putting the tranny back into gear, either by not clutching properly into an appropriate gear(with a manual) or, in the case of an A/T, shifting back into drive at a speed higher than the range of first gear (either at a full stop or at less than 10 MPH).

Quote:
3.) Any data or success anyone has been having w/ coasting or P&G in gear vs in neutral.
Either way you will save a small amount of fuel by doing it. Obviously the vehicle will coast or glide more if it is in neutral.