View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
I think most people assume it's not a two part process; kicking the engine over and then re-engaging the engine. I'm not even sure where or when I learned that technique, but I've been doing it for decades and I've only replaced one clutch in my life and that was preventative at 128k miles (had to pull the tranny anyway due to some other bad habits of my youth (blew the second gear syncros, but that was all speed shifting damage)).

I've also been driving in the mountains of Colorado all my life. I recognize there are significant hazards with operating a vehicle out of gear with the engine off if you're on unfamiliar roads, but I'm assuming we're all adults here with adult judgment. There's a time and a place for every driving technique. There are things I do everyday that I'd never do on an unfamiliar road. Heck, it took me three months of commuting from the new house before I ever disengaged the gears on the drive down the canyon, now I go roughly 9.5 miles every morning with only about four seconds in gear. Just be sensible about it and there's not significant added risk.