View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
jackbauer
Master EcoModder

To find the center of blind holes try this: Get a big sheet of gasket paper from an auto supply store. Big enough to span the bellhousing. Now you want a scrap bolt slightly bigger than and of the holes and dirty , oily hands (seriously). Pick one hole and punch through the gasket paper and pin it. Then with your oily hands press down on the paper over the hole positions. The dirt and oil will help locate the holes. Then take a small hammer and the over size bolt and tap around the impressions until the little disc of paper over the hole pops out. Pin each new hole with a bolt and continue. You now have a paper template of the bellhousing. Some engines have a metal gasket behind the flywheel end which saves a lot of work.

I'd caution the use of a lovejoy coupler. It caused me no end of grief. The biggest problem being its tendency to slide apart. Does your gearbox input shaft have one or two bearings? A flexi coupler is a good idea if its a two bearing (most fwd cars are) but something like a tyre coupler where the two ends bolt through the donut would be better.

I had that problem with the clutch. Could only buy a kit for crazy money. So i started calling around independent garages and got 2 discs with perfect centers but ruined linings for free.