View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
jonathan150cc
EcoModding Lurker

Metro - '98 Chevrolet Metro LSi
90 day: 44.6 mpg (US)
Aero Composite Headlights - Geo Metro 89-94

This is a repost from a thing I did @ Teamswift.net. For me, it was going from the aero lights to the bucket lights. The process will be the same for you guys who want to swap in the aero lights, just modified slightly. The information from the wiring on the headlight sockets is usefull either way. Of course, out finished products will be different

Enjoy! TeamSwift • View topic - Restoring Headlights / Swapping them out
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, ever since doing my front bumper swap I had a desire to also match the black bumper with the bucket style headlights that you normally see on the base model cars. Before you start snipping at me about higher quality lights or aerodynamics or whatever, I know all that. I just personally prefer the base lights. I think they are easier to work on if something goes wrong and easier to restore, as they are all metal and replacement headlights are only like $8.

I tried to make a trade with someone in the for sale section, but that fell through. Assuming that would happen anyway, I also ordered a set from a junkyard guy that I know on Ebay. Last Friday I received my shipment of rusted-to-death headlight housings and the black plastic bezles...or doors or whatever those things are called. When I opened them up, they looked like this:

About two hours and some Rustoleum spray paint later, they looked like this:

I couldn't get all of the pitting off the aluminum casing with my wire wheel and my 12v cordless drill, but it was a good enough job to stop the rust for getting worse. Plus, those parts of the headlights will really never be seen.

Removal of the composite lights is very simple and straightforward. However, removing the mounts, which attach to the frame are such a PITA. There are 4 bolts in total. Two which are easy to get to, just inside the engine bay and are part of the composite lights themselves. The other two are magically installed by GM elves under and behind the front quarter panels. Unless you are inventive, have small hands and don't mind reaching up into rusty sharp spaces to crank your ratchet back and forth in tiny increments for 20 minutes, you won't be able to do this. Once you get those two magic bolts off, you're good to go. Just slide the housings for the bucket lights into the space formerly occupied by the composites and crank the bolts back on.

You'll also need to rewire the headlight sockets. It's really pretty simple. H4666 bulbs, as used by the bucket sockets, are wired as pictured below. And just below that, you'll see the wiring for the 9004 bulbs, which the composites use.

Once you rewire the sockets, you're good to go. Here's a shot of the final product.