View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
jason1973tl
Prototype builder

Big Vic - '03 Ford Crown VIctoria LX
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
Well,
I think that you and many people are missing my point. I was pressing the issue of no conclusive evidence of range, just what magazines and reporters as well as the EPA have provided. We must have about 4-5 threads going on how bad the volt sucks, and it hasnt even made it into anyones hands yet. I think your defense of the leaf continues the unrealistic unproven looked-at-a-picture reviews of the volt. Why haven't the members of this forum continued their rant on the Leaf with its pricing compared to the Prius? Can we wait to see what it will do? I have some very opinionated views of some makes and models of vehicles, why dont I repeatedly start threads on how they suck before I have even driven one or have proof of their reliability?
Believe me, I understand the pricing thing. The electric cars, with their lack of complexity have absolutely no reason at all to cost what they do. They insist on using their own proprietary battery packs, and not using ready made battery technology that all of us can use. They could very easily have used some Thundersky cells for 8 grand instead of building a pack that is both heated and water cooled because they just had to use lithium cobalt batteries instead of the cheaper, safer lithium iron phosphate formula.
When I back the side of electrics it is because their are already plenty of people who hate EVs because they think they won't work. I happen to think they are better than ICE cars, we just have to prove it.

When it comes to hybrids like the Volt, all I am saying is that they designed an EV with substandard range so they can still sell us a car with an IC engine. Personally, I think hybrids are too complicated. They have all the price and complexity of an ICE and an electric car all wrapped up in one package. My Toyota Yaris my wife drives, and trust me it is NOT hypermiled by any stretch of the imagination, averages 41 to 44 mpg. I would love to get my hands on this car to see how much it is capable of, but she won't let me. I don't think hybrids are necessary. We can achieve the numbers we want with ICE alone. Why do we need to make things that much more complicated.

Don't mean to make this sound like a rant, but all these new cars are too expensive and too complicated. That is why my next new car is currently a pile of metal being assembled in my garage. The total weight will be 1000 lbs or less with two seats. I want a car that the auto companies refuse to build, so I will build it myself and see who else wants one.