View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
c10
EcoModding Lurker

Hello I'm c10 modder to the extreme but now gone GREEN!!!

Im 37 father of 3 son's . I have been modding things since I could hold a tool . Most mods have been for speed , but over the years i started building realy fast motorcycles . What I disliked was my range even though i could go very fast . After many years and trial/error I learned to build ten second flat 1/4 mile motorcycles with top speeds ranging from 160 to 186 mph that could also produce 52 to 65 mpg in normal crusing .

Most was done by weight reduction , Gearing changes , and aerodynamic changes the later being very minnor changes reducing wind drag .

Now after many years of driving a 2008 F250 I was feed up with fuel prices . I still own the 250 since it is a great hauling tool , and needed at least once a week for my job . I upgraded many things on the truck to improve mpg .
programer , lighter wheels , good tires , keeping it clean , and tuned , but it just wsnt enough . 14 mpg average driving ( 7700 pound truck with tooling ) and hwy high mpg 21 with a tail wind no A/C windows up vents open .

I drive 3000 plus miles a month for work and 500 to 800 pleasure . So spending nearly 1000 bucks a month on $3 fuel I bought a new small truck .

2010 Chevy colorado 2.9 L engine 5 speed stick 3.73 rear end gears .
Reg cag .

Best MPG so far 33.46 Worst mpg 24.5 avg so far after 3200 miles in first month 29 . Better than the window sticker by far .

Mods done to improve fuel econmy .

New free flow muffler , and 35 pounds lighter , owner instaled . New intake tube ( owner made ) weight reduction 5 pounds . removal off radio antena , removal off passanger windshield wipper , changed 22" wiper blade on driver side to 18 " and lowerd arm to be closer to hood line .

Changed tire preasures from 32 psi to 41 psi ( max presure is 44 psi )

Canged engine oil @ 500 miles to full synthetic oil .

Keep truck clean/waxed .

Mods coming

Bed cover ( soft ) this week , Making partial 50% grill block , buying scan gauge next month , adding 2" of air dam to the front . trying to find wheel dust covers to go on back side of light alum OEM wheels . I know not as good as on the front but I like the way the OEM 16" wheels look .

Plan on closing the air gaps on the hood line /bumper to grill line , and smaller side view mirrors .

I have a light foot and love to cost with the manual when coming to lights .

Any input would be great thanks c10