View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
FalconFour
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
OpenGauge bumper sticker design

I'm a nut for bumper stickers, at least sort of. deadmau5, Linkin Park, National Guard, F-16, and US Air Force stickers proudly displayed on my car... I've just got to add one more for that curious little green display shown prominently on my dash. The OpenGauge. And in the difficulties I've found in pronouncing "MPGuino" to others, I was thinking about its name... isn't the MPGuino itself also known as "OpenGauge"? I think that's a lot easier to say and remember.

With a little "user marketing", I think it could help make OpenGauge even more popular than it already is. Everyone I talk to about it is really excited about the idea... after all, who doesn't want to get more MPG by learning about their driving habits?

So I wanted to add one more sticker, showing off the "OpenGauge MPGuino fuel efficiency computer". A simple phrase that pretty much fully describes the device, what it's called, and what to Google for to get one of their own. I just need a design. I'm no graphics or design expert, but I have come up with some pretty cool designs in the past, and I have a source for getting a batch of durable, professional-quality stickers printed pretty cheap... I figured I'd try my hand at it.

This is definitely not a finished product, but it's about as far as I got "in my head". Not sure what to fill the empty space with or how to balance it out, like what to use for the background (I was thinking of using a filtered overlay of the MPGuino PCB design, didn't want to install/open EAGLE to get it though). Also was thinking of showing the "INST MPG" screen (with the improved font), offset in the corner, pixelated, monochrome-illustration style, in a different color, like the gas tank icon. I'd have to break out the camera and go back down to the car though

Here's the design so far (and PSD/fonts attached)...
(frickin' had to bend over backwards to squeeze it into the board's ridiculous 97kb ZIP file size limit...)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpguino.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	7815  
Attached Files
File Type: zip mpguino_psd.7z.001.zip (95.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: zip mpguino_psd.7z.002.zip (95.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: zip mpguino_psd.7z.003.zip (95.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: zip mpguino_psd.7z.004.zip (78.3 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by FalconFour; 02-12-2011 at 03:49 AM..