View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
nobb
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie with a gas guzzling SUV (R50 Pathfinder)! Breaking the 20 MPG barrier...

Hey guys,

I was handed a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder (R50 series) and never gave too much thought about hypermiling until I got this beast! I intend on getting a smaller vehicle that would be better suited for me in the fall when there are better deals to be had...but until then I am stuck with this monster and would love to hear your guys' opinions.

Although I hate the fact that this Pathfinder is a gas guzzler, it is a very smooth drive and the engine/drivetrain is nearly bulletproof. It's rated for 14/17 city/hwy but by driving smoothly I actually get about 17-18 MPG city in RWD mode and this is in the winter. I've topped out at about 19 MPG and Im working to try to exceed 20 MPG. Hopefully this will be do-able when the weather warms up. Unfortunately this vehicle also takes premium fuel and when switching to regular, I notice my MPG drops to about 15.

So far the current modifications Ive made to the vehicle after getting it was:
1. Removing roof racks
2. Removing spare tire (it's a full size and heavy!)
3. Overinflating tires by 5 psi.
4. Changed transmission, differential, and transfer case fluid. Currently running 10W30 motor oil as recommended. Should I switch to 5W30 on the next change?)
5. Ran a bottle of fuel system cleaner through the system
6. Cleaned air filter and MAF

I'd love to hear your guys' comments on if there are other improvements I could try to make? Would also love to hear anyone else's experience with squeezing that extra MPG from their gas guzzlers