View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
imzjustplayin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Nope, neither my current nor past civic VX has a valve down there and both cars are very much stock, it's really hard to get to that lower hose unless you have help from someone with small hands, but on my first VX I took both hoses out and replaced them, along with the lower straight joint and the grommet all with parts from the dealership because that grommet over time dries out and causes the idle to bounce up and down.
Auto part stores will sell you generic parts that do have a check valve in them but the dealership does not and there is no need to replace those hallow joints because there is nothing inside of them to wear out or brake.
If you could also run a vacuum gauge from the intake manifold for like the brake booster and then test the vacuum to see if you have a vacuum leak. Also, start at the breather box, take out the connecting piece that was there that you replaced the grommet for, and follow the vacuum hoses from there all the way to the intake manifold. Take out those hoses and then, if you can, see if you can get a part number on each of the parts along the vacuum hose and post it on here. Even better, when you disconnect the whole setup of vacuum lines and elbows from the breather box (post pics of the breather box in question) all the way to the manifold, take pics of the setup so we can query you on each part.

On my neighbor's truck, we were going to replace the PCV valve but couldn't because he has a vacuum leak and when we put in the new valve, the truck wouldn't idle. There was no question this was the PCV valve but we couldn't use the new one until he dealt with the vacuum leak since too much vacuum was being used up for the ventilation of the crankshaft. A bit unfortunate but then again, there are lots of issues with the truck that have yet to be fixed.