View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
The correct solution is to build an electric car so that you can charge it there!
I totally agree with the first half of your statement! But it may be cheaper to charge at home. If I did have an EV, then I might park it there every now and then to show it off.

I got more info on the charging station. First, when biking that way yesterday I stopped and talked to the security guy in the gate booth. He said you need a special card to start charging, but he doesn't know where to get that card or even who the owner is. "I dunno. I'm not interested in that card since I can't afford an electric car." I replied that an EV conversion is usually cheaper than a new car, plus the maintenance and driving costs are much lower, only the range is worse, but charging stations like these make it much easier to plan your trip. I ask if he's ever seen an EV charging here, but he replied "An EV? Here? When there is only a handful of electric cars in Poland, and probably 20 charging stations in Warsaw, then why would anyone want to charge here?" (I live on the far outskirts of Warsaw.)

Next, I posted pictures and what info I had on a local EV forum. After some discussion someone noticed that the sponsors were some European integrity funds and stated that it probably won't be easy to get one of those access card, as they most likely don't exist. The charging station is not for charging EVs, but for someone to get money from European funds. It is not supposed to work, it is supposed to look like it works so that European officials pay for the project. This would explain why there is no information on the charging station about who it belongs to, where and how to get an access card, or how much it costs. Sad reality

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread