View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
WVengr
EcoModding Lurker

Bruiser - '97 Nissan D21 Reg Cab
90 day: 23.43 mpg (US)

Aspire - '95 Ford Aspire Base
Hello from the new guy

Hello,
I have been browsing these forums for a while now, but am just now joining and posting. I have been using alot of the driving techniques that improve economy for awhile now, even before I found this place. Some started out as parlor tricks in a sense, "I bet you ten bucks I can drive the 3 miles from your house to mine with the engine off." "No way you can do that, I'll take that bet!" I used to own a 1990 Festiva 5-speed, and loved that thing, expecially when I could make fun of Prius' at the gas pumps. "You only get 45MPG?, I'm sorry." Unfortunately it died on me at about 330k on the odometer. Had a neon for a while as well, and could squeeze close to 40 out of it on the highway, without really any effort. Well now due to unavoidable circumstances, I had to get a truck. Essentially I have been knocked down to part time at work and my last day is coming up on me fast, so i sold the Neon, and bought the truck dirt cheap ($1,200) so I could use it to make ends meet doing odd jobs. I did my research and found a truck that is supposed to very fuel efficient, a 1997 Nissan D21 with the 4 cyl engine and 5 speed tranny 2wd, but I still want to cry every time i fill it up.

So I guess where I am going is this... Where would a good place to start with this thing be, I am on a very limited budget and I know the aerodynamics on this thing is like a parachute compared to that Neon, since i cant coast down the hills i used to, so that would probably be a good place to start. I already ripped off the mudflaps and all the other crap that the previous owner had attached to the outside. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, i do all my own work to my cars. Anyone have some good suggestions for me?