View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
adamlee
EcoModding Lurker

I think the in-glass antenna would be a great option. I just bought an 02 Hyundai Santa Fe, and it has an antenna in one of the rear side glasses. It works *almost* as well as a traditional antenna. I live 60 air miles from Chicago, and work in Gary, so I like to listen to Chicago stations so i don't have to change the station halfway to work. It doesn't pick those stations up as often as my old Volvo did, but its pretty good.

I have a feeling that it might be possible to make your own glass antenna. There's a product to repair a rear window defroster matrix, so why couldn't you create your own? The only issue would be attaching the wire, but the factories that do it must have a way to do it. Also, apparently these in-glass antennas use a signal booster, whereas normal ones don't.

You could also use the rear defroster elements as an antenna, just clip the ground wire off and use the other wire to connect it to your radio. But now you wont have a defroster, which sucks...

Amazon has a pre-made solution for $30 that just sticks on the window, but i cant post the link cause im new..