Thread: safety ideas
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

Nice to meet someone else w an early CRX! What kind of mpg figures do you turn out? I have an '87, and my best so far is 62.9 backed up by 3 other lower 62's.

I agree w your light tapping when needed. If you check out Are you visible? on page 3 of the General Efficiency section, and also Getting the bird at on ramps on page 2 of the Hypermiling/Eco-driver's Ed section; you will see this a lot in common w you.

I read your state's veh. code; and according to Section 56-5-4590 your yellow lights are good, unless they are deemed to be too glaring. It also says that the yellow should work in conjunction with the brake lights. (56-5-4730) Would it be hard to tie your regular brakes lights in w the yellow?

You have already gone to a lot of work. I would perhaps suggest that you finesse it so you tap your foot brake equally w the yellow, so they seem connected. If a picky cop spots you, if only for the brightness of the yellow, they might make you SHOW a replay at a traffic stop.

Your state has a LOT of rules. It's a shame that your cars can't be lowered very much, but on the bright side; it looks like you could go w interior mirrors only if you chose!

Also, what I thought was cool; that if you know you will never drive at night; you could build a headlight-less very aero front end on cars.

The other idea to keep your checkered theme all over the car is ok, but it doesn't look like any reflectors except amber would be lawful? there. I would think white would be ok; but it's not mentioned. I do remember that several years ago, stock Volvo cars were built w a white reflector built into the front parking light/turn signal lense area for added parking protection at night!!

I look forward to seeing more entries by you. Your red car carries the reflectors, well!
Mine is white. I custom wrapped my license plate frame in white/red reflectors, and also have a small white backed w black lettering magnetic sign on the far left highest part of rear also framed w reflectors; and the text reads: Vendor Contract Green Speeds Only! Mpg. Checked Daily.

Aloha!