View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You do need space for a battery pack tho because at 65mph you are going to be pulling 15,000 to 20,000 watts or so and a 1000 watt generator is not going to keep up, that is why a vehicle like this is ideal for stop and go traffic, even the Tesla Roadster going 100mph draws nearly 60,000 watts and it's a really small smooth car.
My point is, if you do the math you will see that altho you might be able to easily get up to 100mph, once you are there your batteries will be dead and you will start slowing down.
If I was working on a project like this I would start out with a really small pickup truck, something like a regular cab Toyota from the early '90s as they weigh 2,560 pounds, strip off the bed to cut the weight down more and do a direct drive to the rear axle, this will save a bunch of space under the hood and allow you to either put your generator under the hood, or behind the rear axle, or keep the bed and just toss your batteries, generator and everything else back there, this would allow for a quick and dirty build.
If you wanted to go all out with a project like this you could then save even more weight by pulling the whole front end of the truck apart and replacing it with one of those fancy one piece fiber glass hood and fender deals, giving you alot of freedom up front for battery and generator placement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (07-29-2011)