View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Waterboost - special, er, no HHO...

Car Mechanics is a UK based magazine that covers, er, car mechanics. Its aimed partly at the trade and partly at the kind of person who wants to service at home. I read it as a knowledgeless fiddler to be honest.

In 2009 they decided to feature the WaterBoost system. If you read the website it announces more or less straight away that it is a "Hydrogen Fuel System" - basically HHO - IMHO.

Now they have featured it again. At the end of two years in a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 TD they have noted a slight improvement in emissions - from 2.92ppm to 1.76ppm which they put down to the WaterBoost system "steam cleaning" carbon from the cylinder heads.

For the all important MPG ? Well in terms of carefully controlled A-B-A testing, forget it. They include a graph of MPG.

(Apologies for quality I don't have a scanner).

Their conclusion is that there is no difference in MPG. I'm kind of seeing a decline in MPG for the period of the test myself (Mar-Sep 2010).

Anyway, I shall email the editor - I may mention EM.

(Background, the Omega 2.5 TD has the BMW I6 IDI Turbo diesel engine from the BMW 325TD without the intercooller of the TDS)

oil pan 4 (08-19-2011)