Thread: Hi from Cyprus
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Karadjas
EcoModding Lurker

The Silver Miser - '97 Seat Ibiza Van TDi SXE
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)

The Blue Squanderer - '11 Audi S3
90 day: 19.6 mpg (US)
Hi from Cyprus

Hi guys,

I live in Nicosia, Cyprus.

I found your forum a while ago, and a fuel efficiency discussion in another forum i frequent reminded me of ecomodder and drove me to register.

I own a 2011 Audi S3 with some work done (the exact opposite of ecomodding) and some more is scheduled. It's not terrible on fuel, with an average lifetime (22.500km) consumption of 12L/100km, including some *cough*a lot of*cough* spirited driving. I have tried very mild hypermiling in it (coasting, timing lights, slow pull-aways), and frequently get under 8L/100km in the city, but that soon vanishes in thin air as, let's face it, noone buys an S3 for it's fuel efficiency.

To save on fuel and wear on the S3, I got a 1997 Seat Ibiza 1.9TDi 90hp van with 186k km on the odometer for next to nothing. I'm still fixing it up, taking care of some dents, removing some ghastly decals the previous owner had put on, "deodourising" the interior etc. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I put diesel in it. I think it was about 3 weeks ago and I had only got it to the halfway marker on the gauge. The first week I owned it I thought the needle had got stuck I drive the Seat a lot more frequently than I do the S3 now. I've owned it for about 6 weeks now, and it seems like it will pay for itself in fuel savings within 2-3 months, let alone wear and maintenance.

Current fuel prices in Cyprus:
Cheapest 100RON unleaded from trusted stations for the S3: EUR1.32/L
Cheapest diesel from wherever for the TDi: EUR1.26/L