View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
To old Mech: If that Plymouth setup you made could have stayed on a total Z car platform, could you imagine the head scratching you would cause if you entered such a beast against fellow autocrossers????
The center of gravity was very low, like my old 59 Corvette. It ended up weighing less than a 240Z about 2300 pounds dry. The 59 Vette would go around an Interstate cloverleaf at 70 MPH. I'm too old now to do stupid stuff like I did at 23 but I would bet it (the Plymouth) would have been close to the 59 Corvette. Even archaic suspension designs can do very well in turns until you add in potholes and other irregularities.

The old Vette required a torque check on almost all of the mounting fasteners from the frame to the power train. Even lock washers did not keep the mounts tight. Of course it had nothing to do with the way I drove the car, but even then with the 3.08 gear it managed to get over 20 MPG average.

I just didn't slow down much for the turns .

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 11-07-2011 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: didn't know ot was a word ;)