View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
my DD is a 1998 Saturn SL2 automatic. It's my 8th or so Saturn. I plan on doing a few mods to it to improve mileage:

-Front Air Dam
-Antenna delete/hide
-Drop it
-lighter wheels, LRR tires
-maybe grill block
-maybe delete factory rear wing (replace with a trunk lip/something more efficient?)

My goal is to average mid 30s.
Welcome to EM. I'll just tell you what I would do within the parameters you describe and with your auto trans. The antenna delete is probably the least valuable on your list. I did one, and I am looking for ways to undo it or redo it so I can get better reception back. The grill block is something I would do as soon as I devised a way to make it stealthy. There are some great examples here (look at Daox's "pretty Prius" grill block project for one example and further references to others). I would drop the car with clamps and get an alignment (I plan on this for my car); install a front airdam (I have one); and pump tires up past the sidewall as you feel comfortable. When your current tires are really bald, then replace them with LRRs and new wheels (that's my plan with my current baldies). Cut weight out wherever possible, safe, tolerable. Good luck.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.