View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Here is the original Atkinson cycle conceived to get around Otto's patents.

Animated Engines - Atkinson

Modern engines achieve a similar effect with cam timing and offset crankshaft journals.

Direct Injection was used on the DB 601 engine in the ME 109 of WW2 fame.
The original Flathead Ford engine of 1932 had an offset crankshaft.
CVTs mostly go back to the Van Dorne belt patent of the mid 1950s.

Nothing new here and Honda has been in decline since old man Honda died in 1991. Back then they really tried some cutting edge engineering, now they are more like GM in decline, riding their laurels since about 2000 when the first Insight came out.

My 94 VX was a great car. the 2002 Insight was neat but had a lot of warranty issues $7k in work in 1 year. Honda kept timing belts too long as well as interference engines.

Probably get slammed for this post, but that is just the way I feel about new Hondas. My 84 CRX was fantastic. The 77 Accord the old man drove up and down US 1 in the Florida Keys averaged right at 40 MPG.

The best of them all was the VX, a truly marvelous piece of engineering. After that peak they have not really done anything that I would come close to calling really innovative, and bragging about ancient technology just convinces me the whole thing is a propaganda campaign.

The new Prius 3 I think, lightweight with the old 1.5 engine and low 50s combined MPG at just under 20k is going to send the 2nd gen Insight to the scrap heap.

regards
Mech
I love/d Hondas and I won't slam you for this criticism. I have become really disappointed with the Hondas. The CR-Z looks great but the last Honda that really wowed me was the 2001 Insight. I'm looking more at the Hyundais and Fords these days--partly on your adivce on these pages I think. If something happens to this old Honda of mine... those are the brands I'm looking at. I just want to be lucky not to get my Civic totaled until the 3-banger Fiesta turbo is a couple years old and on the used lots.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.