View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Just because I drive a Civic doesn't mean I was comparing the Volt to a Honda or any other car for that matter, so I really don't see what that has to do with this topic but I will respond.

I don't see the 2012 Civic as a failure and no one should. For $16k you get a car capable of 39 MPG. Its not a hyrbid. You don't have to plug it in. Its got 140 HP. If you buy the $40k Volt over a well-equipped $20k Civic you would need to wait 24 years before you come out ahead with gas savings. And a Volt would never last 24 years. The 2012 Civic does not live up to the Civic reputation, and I agree with you there, but that still hasn't stopped it from being the best selling compact sedan in the month of November 2011. Selling cars is the measure of success, the Volt clearly loses.

The reason I say the Volt is a failure is because what does it prove? What is its purpose? What new technologies or innovations does it bring to the table? Its a hybrid. If you need to drive more than 35 miles or go highway speeds you will need the gasoline engine. GM is trying to market this car as something incredible, like its the comeback of the American auto industry. It is not. Its wasted money trying to develop something that already exists. It failed to create something special. The Nissan Leaf gets better range, better MPG (gasoline equivalent), and is cheaper. It sold over double of what the Volt did in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
And if gas prices hit $5-6/gal this year (very likely), these cars are going to start getting a lot more attention.
Why? If gas hits that price everyone will try to drive less and save money. No one would buy a $40k car to save about half on gas compared to a car like a Civic. I will point you to my previous example. It would take you 24 years to come out ahead on savings if you buy a Volt over a Civic assuming you drive 26000 miles a year (Like I do) and gas costs $3.50 a gallon. You don't save money overall by buying a car with higher MPG if it costs you more money up front.

Last edited by cbaber; 02-17-2012 at 11:37 PM..