View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
On one hand, I was criticizing the fact that you often make "fanboi-esque" posts stating, in a nutshell, everything non-Honda is bad.
Really? I have made 24 posts and I don't see any of them besides this thread that calls out any other car brand. I don't believe that everything non-Honda is bad, I just think the Volt and other particular cars are. The Chevy Cruze is a great car. $20k for a car that gets 42 MPG. This is a much better value than the Volt. And its better than the 2012 Civic.

Quote:
The emphasis now is finding cars that don't need gas to run. That is why so many people have been moving toward diesel, hybrids, and electrics. And when a car allows an average driver to hit > 1,000 miles on a single, small tank of gas, that's saying something.
Really? Thats the logic that car companies "want" you to think. They want you to believe that its much better to get rid of your old car and buy a new car to save money on gas. But you are not saving any money at all. People will do this, but they are idiots if they are trying to save money but buy new cars to do so.

Electrics are not ready for the market yet. The government is trying to force it but using tax incentives and loans to Nissan and GM for the Volt and Leaf. You cannot force a market to pick up by pumping money into it. If its a superior product, it will sell. If its not, in the case of the Volt, it will not sell well. Its the value factor. You do not get a good value in the Volt. If the price was about half, at around $20-$25k, I think we would not be having this discussion.

Quote:
I'm also curious about your "24 years" calculations. Does that take into account the $7,500 tax credit? Does it take into account that, depending on the driving, 26,000 miles a year might add up to only a few gallons of gasoline? Also, I'm not sure that $3.50 is a good base to calculate from, since I, currently, can only find a few gas stations selling 87 octane for < $4.00/gal.
Thats even worse! Why I am paying people to buy these cars? You need to remember the Volt only has a range of 35 miles on electric only. After that the gasoline engine kicks in to charge the batteries and drive the car until the batteries are at a decent level again. During that time you are getting 37 MPG. So combined, according to the EPA, you get 60 MPG. Sure, if you drive less than 35 miles a day you will not need gas, but even at that rate you get an equivalent 94 MPG according to the EPA. It still costs money to charge the car everyday.

Last edited by cbaber; 02-18-2012 at 11:48 AM..