View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Marc F.
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
First things first, this is my first post ever. I have my asbestos underware on for the responses...

@ cbaber -- your first post in this thread showed your views, you dont like the Volt.
Thats ok, its your opinion. Oh, and I dont like the goverment "helping" the industry either.

@ Everybody --Every car companies has failures, thats how they get better.

I like Chevy, my first new vehicle was an 1987 S-10.

I like Hondas too, my last new vehicle was a 2011 Honda Cr-Z
(which I dont have now, long story, I miss the mileage / fun)

I personally am interested in the Volt and the Cadillac ELR (good looking in my opinion) and the Leaf, which wont carry me all the way to work and back (dang it), etc etc, etc. They are all making progress though. We are here to help each other get better mileage and eventually better use of wattage or whatever is the next form of energy we use.

I personally see the need to change on a daily basis, I drive a truck for a living, I burn 80 to 100 gallons of fuel a day. Thats approx. 640 TO 800 POUNDS of fuel burned and spent into the atmosphere each day . I am one truck driver of how many around this planet?

My company uses very new equipment, very clean burning equipment. But we still need to find better ways of delivering everything. And before someone says get another job think about everything around you. It came on a truck. Your breakfast, the eggs, toast, meat.. All delivered by truck as you slept. Your clothes, your desk, everything, anything you touch TODAY.

So as I drive and burn lots of fuel everyday I ponder ways to change the basic world around me. If the ALL trucks stopped right now in just a few days people would be running out of the basics for living, just food would cause life threatening fights. How do we get around this?

So the Volt isnt your cup of tea, ok, but its a step in the right direction for a large company (that should be shot for scrapping the EV-1/eS-10). And its a step we really need to take. Once all of this starts really taking hold in the automotive world I hope it trickles down to the semi trucks.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I feel strongly about this and I hope I shed some perspective on the problem facing the entire world, not just each one of us and our individual likes and dislikes. Thanks for your attention.

Now about the Volt, do you think the Cadillac ELR is a redressed Volt? Who knows anything about it? I just saw it for the first time this morning...