View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Older folks are generally a little more skeptical of rapid advances in technology when applied to vehicular transportation. It comes from experience in maintaining a car in a reliable operational state when it approaches a decade in age. I have a reliable vehicle sitting in my garage that has had fewer that 1/10 of 1% of it's parts replaced since 1971.

When you grow up enough to respect age and experience maybe you can get your 40 year old Volt to work with fewer than 1/10 of 1% of the parts replaced. Fortunately in 40 years I will be gone from this earth, but I would gladly bet that my 40 year old vehicle might actually still be operational while your Volt will have long ago gone to the recycle bin.

The ludicrous attempt to characterize experience and skepticism based on real life examples with a narrow minded character assassination merely demonstrates the misconception that blindly accepting every technological "advance" is the only way to get to the future vehicle.

Long ago GM adopted the concept of "planned obsolescence" when you could buy a 57 Chevy for $1600 new. Maybe you feel that $40k + spent on a car today is chicken feed, but lets see where that $40k gets you the day the warranty runs out. Your resale value will be pitiful.

regards
Mech