View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
I've always stepped back and scratched my head about the thoughts or use of a "Cold Air Intake." What makes it a "Cold Air" intake? All that I have ever seen are located inside the engine bay sucking in "HOT" air~! Also, as I understand, they breath easier because they filter less, and are "oiled" for fitlering. How does the oil affect performance of the MAF? Seems to me that most OE air fitlering systems are more than adequate.

I like your choice. I always wanted to own a Mustang. Back in the late 60s, a good friend of mine owned a 1967 289 High Performance Mustang. It was awesome! He knows where that Mustang is today...........North Carolina in a collection~!

Good luck with your mods. And, thank you for your service~!
As a child I loved cool, fast, and exotic. So I never really liked Mustangs, the only older cars I liked were Maseratis. But with these models, my v6 has more horsepower than the v8 two years before it, and every NA v8 before it in a Mustang. And the fuel efficiency is unprecedented in these vehicles. A lot of people I know infer I am a "Mustang guy" but I am more of a guy who found the Mustang to be the best product for his needs. Amd that's just too long to tell people!

V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake Kit 3.7L (2011-2012)

Looking at them, the cold part comes in because it boxes off the warm engine air, and it attempts to get it's air from outside of the car. Also, it is a large cone shape, rather than factory shape.

My guy who knows his stuff, and I recently found out, his team has designed the new GT500 with 650+ hp, 200+ mph, he informed me that the reason they are not done by factory is because they are loud, and when buying a new vehicle, even something sportier, people tend to like it quieter as a whole.

For more power, they make sense. At high speeds, the box is like a parachute inside the engine bay, and the only way out is the air intake. Also, that cone shape is WAY bigger regarding surface area, so it does the same filtering, but filter filters a lot more air in the same amount of time.

Now a days, especially in my vehicle and the year before and two years after, the air intake is phenominal. Ford did a great job with the tubing, so mine will add only 5-15 hp, approximate based off of outside sources, while say a 2006 could see up to 30. Most people also do a tune, but I'm a play it safe warranty kind of guy.

No offense to Mustangs! I just am not a fan of most pre 1990s cars, but I've only heard food things of the 289s.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.