View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Lazarus -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I got stuck in Dallas today so I rent a Saturn Aura (3.6l) to get home. It was a very comfortable ride. Had all the bells and whistles. About 15 minutes into it my seat get hot and I noticed that I accidentally turn the seat warmer on.

I left Dallas and the cars outside temperature gauge was showing 100 degrees with a NE wind of 10 kts. I set the AC at 83 degrees and using the manual paddle shifts for the auto transmission headed to Austin. This is an impressive car for FE being so heavy. I don't think the rpm ever got over 1700. At 60 mph the rpm was 1600. At 43 in 6th gear the rpm was 1100. and at 50 it was around 1250.

I think with some work this would make a great FE platform. I drove 228 miles and put 6.2 gallons in. That's just short of 37 mpg. This is probably pessimistic because they are never really full when you pick up a rental and they left it idling outside for 10 minutes to cool down as I was filling out the paper work. I think 40 would be do able if not just a gridlock commute.

It would be neat if this became a "standard" goodie over time. It seems the best compromise for auto-transmission drivers.

Since the Saturn Aura is the Opel Vectra in Europe, I suspect that the ECU/PCM has some thrifty driving modes.

It appears that the new Aura/Vectra will be very nice :

NEW: First clear pics of 2010 Opel Vectra/Saturn Aura - May 12, 2008
http://www.leftlanenews.com/opel-vec...ra-future.html

A CGI Rendering I think
Quote:
New spy shots have captured a 2008 Opel Vectra out testing in Europe in much lighter camouflage. The car is expected to makes its international debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show this September. The latest round of images provide much better idea as to what the next Opel Vectra/Saturn Aura will look like.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society