Thread: New civic VX!
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
carsonjk
EcoModding Lurker

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX

Taco - '05 Toyota Tacoma
New civic VX!

After much research on the commuter car I wanted to buy I had decided on a 92-95 civic hatch after coming across this site many times. I had learned about the awesomeness of the VX here but had given up on finding one since it seemed so hard. I had been looking online most every day for around three months when magically one popped up in my area and I ran out and bought it, so excited!
I paid $1800 for a 94 with 205k and it's totally stock. The body is pretty rough but the interior is good and it came with two sets of wheels and tires (brand new snow tires!). The hood latch is broken so I havent even checked the oil or seen under the hood yet but I put some fuel system cleaner in it, aired up the tires, and filled the tank. I drove the 60 something miles home with the snow tires on steelies going over a large mtn pass. I had to check the millage since I was dying of curiosity when I got home. I didn't expect much with these conditions but I did my best to shift when the light went off and then coast down the long downhills.
I know this is limited since it's one short trip, but it got 73 by the time I got home and refilled the tank with all I could fit and then some spilling out.
I am so shocked by this, and since then I've been commuting 55 miles a day in it but have yet to finish a tank and see what I'm actually getting.
I don't plan any radical mods for it, just hoping to have a good running 50 plus car that is relatively nice to drive and reliable. In fact I will probably put a rack on it eventually so I can take it on long kayak trips without having to stress any about the gas money to get there.
Once I get the hood fixed I plan on cleaning the ECU and IACV valves and replacing filters, if anybody has other suggestions on making it run as smooth and efficient as possible I greatly appreciate.
Carson
Alpine, WY