View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIVJackal View Post
While I like the conversation about the Ethanol fuels, I would like if someone would focus a little more on the brand to brand comparison if possible! I would do this but I fill up once every month or two so...
The reason you are getting talk of ethanol fuels (which almost every fuel on the market is) is because that is the main factor of variation between one gas station and another.

You will find certain stations have different additives and different ethanol blends, some include more napathylene others don't have a winter blend of gas on certain grades.

The thing is (in my experience) is that from one week to another the same gas stations can have a swing in ethanol content (spot price varies), unless they GUARANTEE ethanol free but then those that have ethanol free may add MTBE or whatever that crap is called, which on my car kills FE more than ethanol.

So what I am saying is that this is sort of a unicorn, there are ethanol test kits on the market that aren't real bad $$, there are also a few sites that exposes who uses MTBE but beyond this, empiracle don't mean squat.

To make this thread into a non-unicorn we would need some sort of chemist kit and someone willing to do analysis, trouble is in my area there is a MONOPOLY in that ALL FUEL COMES FROM ONE SUPPLIER with only 2 exceptions in the whole area where I live. Does not matter what brand they slap on, comes out of the same tank.

This means the only differences between stations are the additive package and possibly ethanol content (to a point)

AKA the same tank fills BP & SHELL, they just blend in some additives from the as-is gas from the supplier.

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
ChillyBear (07-08-2016)