View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
boostalot717
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
How does your current fan run? IMO, a clutched mechanical fan is superior to an electric one. The clutch allows the fan to only be on when it needs to be, and it's more efficient than converting the mechanical energy to electrical energy and then back to mechanical again.
dave heres my opinion on fans. The clutch fan (what my truck has), spins constantley even though the clutch is not engaged. My thought is just as any racer remove rotating weight from the engine to free up hp and tq. obv this helps with fuel economy when approaching grades. What i do know for fact is that switching to a electric fan and a simple 87 octane tune is a solid +2mpg on my platform, given the same application of the right foot.

Many hear bad results from electric fans because most think the bigger the better. Thats when someone ends up putting a giant pair of 3500 cfm fans on their vehicle pulling around 25-35 amps. A small electric fan and more importantly a PROPER fan shroud go a long way.

That being said i see your driving a 6-speed cummins, i would never consider taking the fan clutch of of mine. The drag from the fan is very minimal considering the very high tq low in the rpms.