View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Recently moved and now my daily trip to school has gone to 65 miles round trip

Do i really need a truck, well yes but only part time. I need it in the summer to haul my race car back and forth to the track.

This is a typical RV'er dilemma. Too much vehicle for what is really needed. Wish fulfilment taking precedence. Being vehicle-poor.

To have started at the beginning (first, as racing is more important than schooling; second, as acquiring a credential -- straight training -- is important than an actual education) it could have brought one to a different vehicle.

When the priorities are as above, what vehicle would have best suited? (is worth asking).

My goal is to improve mpg's while keeping the truck rather mundane looking. Some of the aero caps and other diy mods i have seen are great and i applaude you guys for taking that step but there just not for me.

The question is asked, and the priorities arranged, for when you come out of the closet. Otherwise, that description fits no racer or tinkerer I've ever met, heard of or read about.

Don't answer this, just keep it in mind. If one thinks that "an education" is just a piece of paper which does not entail any changes in ones life then what is received isn't worthy of being called educational. Edu-care. "One doen't care" = one hasn't developed the use of tools.

This site is a tool. Read around. Reading is active, not passive. One gains confidence in choosing a direction which is not that of the herd when the tools of thinking are applied. It isn't about bragging rights (fun as that may be).

Pre-conceptions are hobbling. Let them go as you go along.

Euromodder laid it out for you quite well as a start:

[1]Baseline the vehicle mechanically (records in depth),
[2] Learn to drive the fewest miles to accomplish the same ends (trip plan),
[3] Drive those fewer miles better (hypermile).

Otherwise, it is gearing and aero changes (past driver skill) as Big Dave points out.

That's it.

Welcome!!