View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostalot717 View Post
Gearing in the truck is 3.42.1. thats as low as i would like to go. For everything besides economy the truck actually needs a slightly higher gear.
How heavy is your trailer? I tow a 5000 pound camping trailer with my wife's Tahoe (3.23 gears) and it does the job fine. It just won't win any races heading up steep hills. However, I doubt it would justify the expense of converting it.

Whether it it makes sense to buy a second car or not is your choice, but many of us (myself included) were in the same situation and went with an inexpensive commuter. If you want to stick with the truck, that's fine too and you can find a lot of good info on here.

I really wanted an HX, but my second choice was a late '90's Sentra. The 1996-1999 Sentra (any except SE) is rated at 39mpg hwy, seems to be pretty reliable, and can often be found for $1000-2000 in decent shape.

I don't know where in PA you are, but you could probably get this for $1000, which would pay off in about six months based on your previous examples.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods